Friday, 16 March 2012

Meeting Saffy Mark.

OK, I suppose this is why people go on dates.

I turned up 8 minutes late. I was day dreaming on the Victoria line instead of changing tubes, so I suppose I did feel less nervous. Yeah I definitely did. Not least because I had no expectations. Also I'd just had some great news.

I arrived at the bar, caught sight of him, and my heart definitely did not sink. He was not unattractive! He was actually a little better looking than his picture suggested. Not a hair on his head, not a single one. I kept feeling a question in my throat "so did you recently join the army?" - but I held back.

And, AND - he was polite. Polite and lovely. Not sarcastic, not defensive, definitely not boring; he seemed like the kind of man that you would say "now why is he single?"

I mean maybe technically he's not single. I asked him if he's been on dating sites long and if he enjoys it, and he said yes - so maybe this is his version of relationships. Chronic datings. Sounds good to me.

Did he seem a little horrified when I ordered a pint? This is the bizarre thing about dating someone not from this land - they don't understand the shorthand of north/ south generalisations. Me telling him that I am from Sheffield, doesn't buy me the same allowances that it would from a native. I haven't yet decided if this is a good thing.

So we finished our first pints and then I offered him another drink - he says "well have you eaten?"

No I have not eaten on a date yet. Never in my life.

So of course without a seconds thought I ordered the vegetarian version of his burger and chips.

I started eating the chips with a fork, but it was ridiculous. "Do you mind if I eat these chips with my fingers?" - he said he didn't mind.

I am a pig. A disgusting pig. I have always prided myself on having good enough table manners - but eating fast food with a knife and fork? How do you eat a burger with a fork! I did, but it was a shambles. A mouth stuffing, cheek wiping, mayonnaisey shambolic embarrassment.

There is a small chance that he did not notice. But I noticed. This is what I have learnt from dating - something WILL go very badly. And if it isn't the other person - it's you. Well last night I took one for the team.

The truly bizarre thing was, after we finished our burgers, he asked if I'd like to go somewhere else. So we did. We went down to Hoxton Square (I think?) and there I went back onto the gin and tonics. How did I ever used to drink pints?! So much liquid!

He is such a nice man. Very handsome, kind eyes, and he's interesting. At one point he was talking quite animatedly about something and then he apologised for ranting - which he was faaaaar from. That bodes well. A man aware of his propensity to become a bore. Sign me up.

Conversation ran smooth as a baby's behind. It was like a tennis match; I had just enough to ask him, he seemed to have the right questions to ask me, conversation never veered into boring subjects, least not for me. Neither of us went on for too long without then turning the convo round to the other. It almost went too well.

So it was probably just before 11 when he decided not to keep me up any longer; my first day at work the next morning (today) of course. We both got on the same tube going home, which took the kiss goodbye out of the equation - if it was ever in it to begin with, who knows. But that was fine. To be honest we really got on, and there was definitely an enjoyment of each others' company, but was there a spark of sexual animal magnetism? I don't know.

If he does want to see me again, I will be very pleased, and a tiny bit surprised. But that's what I said after my job interview yesterday, and here I am today ready for my first day back in the office since my spinal injury. Back in my rightful place.

There's a large chance that my happiness re: this new job outshone any of my faults. I'll find out if I ever hear from him again, I suppose. I'm assuming that etiquette dictates that I not contact him first - yeah? Hmm. We'll see.

Either way, I'm glad that Internet dating doesn't have to be a terrifying and bewildering experience. Not always.

No comments:

Post a Comment